Friday, October 12, 2012

Chocolate Chip Breakfast Muffins


Had to make something for brunch at Bible study this morning. I have been making these muffins all year for the kids and they have no idea that they are healthy. HUSH!!!
Again, I found the recipe on Pinterest, but I have tweaked it to fit my style. The important thing I have found is that the hot water needs to hit the cream of tarter, soda and powder. It makes it fizz a little and creates the light fluffy texture you want. I make my own yogurt and use organic cocoa powder. I like to have my own applesauce, but when I'm out, I use Vermont Organic applesauce. I'm also not a big fan of chemical sweeteners. I use 3/4 cup of organic brown sugar instead. You can under cook these if you aren't careful. Better to have them a little over done than under done, trust me!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c oats
 3 egg whites (you can just use one whole egg if you don't want to waste it)
 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
1 cup sugar substitute (see above)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Place  the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment