Wednesday, October 24, 2012

80 degrees in October

Indian summer is here. Loving the fall weather. We went for a walk to the park in our flip flops and t-shirts! It is so hard to focus on teaching school when the weather is so great. Someday soon I'll give you a peek into our school day. What I wanted to post was what's for dinner. When it has been a busy day or you don't feel good or just don't feel like cooking, here's a good thing to do.
I have tried several times to cook meals ahead of time but have never been very successful at maintaining the pattern. I have experimented with recipes to see if they freeze well and if my kids will eat them.
One of the greatest recipes I found was pulled pork. I usually don't buy a pork tenderloin unless they are on sale. Who can eat the whole thing and how do you cook it? I will buy two and have one sliced into chops. Easy meal to throw on the grill in the summer. Take the other one and throw it in the crock-pot for about 6 hours with the marinade below. Then drain the juice, shred the meat and thicken the juice by boiling it in a sauce pan with flour or cornstarch (you may need to add a little water) and pour back over the meat. Serve up with biscuits or noodles or rice, whatever suits your fancy. The leftovers can be frozen in a ziplock bag for several months. Just thaw on counter until it comes out to fit in a sauce pan, then heat up on the stove. This is also very popular with me as a meal to take to someone.

Pulled Pork

3 lbs of boneless pork
1/2 cp ketchup
1/2 cp orange juice
2-4 TBSP honey
2 TBSP soy sauce
4 TBSP lemon juice
You can add nutmeg and paprika or cayenne pepper, I don't.

1 1/2 TBSP cornstarch or 3 TBSP flour

No comments:

Post a Comment